Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Garden Route

So I know a lot of you didn't take me seriously when I said "I'm bungee jumping, seriously," but i did, in fact, bungee jump. seriously. The host of the jump is FACE Adrenaline, and the height is about 700 feet, the highest in the world (and by extension, the known universe). This was, most definitely, the scariest thing I've ever done, though you'd never be able to tell from my stoic appearance:








Though I'd love to both talk about bungee jumping all day and upload the video which shows, in vivid detail, the color drain from my face as I catapult to my death, the internet in South Africa will simply not allow it. Thus, let's move on.

Ostrich riding.

While this may sound obscure and silly, let me tell you, t'is not the case. Ostriches are the fastest animals in the world second to cheetahs, and are also wildly aggressive and have a sharp toe that they use to gut you with. The only way to get away would be to play dead, at which point they tend to sit on you with all of their 300+ pounds for anywhere from 4 hours to 4 days. Obviously, I had to ride one.






This picture is blurry because I'm moving ridiculously fast.

Throughout the garden route, we were staying at a backpacker's hostel called Fairy Knowe. I don't know what the name means, but this place is awesome. I asked them if I could work there and they said yes, so I'll be moving back in about a year's time.








The hostel was 6 hours outside of Cape Town, in the literal middle of nowhere. The name of the town was Wilderness. Sersly.

Anyhow, before you go thinking that all I'm doing is partying and playing around in Africa, make no mistake. I still get up at 7 for work everyday, I still study isiXhosa, (I can now, officially, pronounce the name of this language) and participate in several other cultural learning activities. I'm really busy.

Well, I guess that's all, folks until the next time I do something cool like, you know, play with a baby cheetah or something. Oh wait...




Get jealous.

4 comments:

  1. omg you are too funny. My stomach flips at the picture of you bungie jumping. And even though I know you are fine, I still see the pictures and get pissed. Way to make the most of 6 six weeks!
    miss you love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap this is the most exciting blog I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. emmet you kill me. get to paris!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Emmet Go!!!!!!!!!
    God bless you & enjoy all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete